Not even sure what to call this.

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Not even sure what to call this.

Postby Maune » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:18 am

Alright, so this used to be more of an intermittent thing, but now I can't get it to go away. When I log in and enter the game with my character, not only are there visible, impossible to fix or ignore issues, any characters or animals on the map slide rather than any kind of movement animation. On top of that, while I can click to move and right-click to open things (door, chest, etc.), no windows pop up for containers and no flower menus pop up for anything, nor do they seem to be working despite the missing graphic.

I'm linking a screenshot of what I see, since it's hard to explain. As far as I can tell, none of the hotkeys, buttons, or invisible buttons work aside from the inventory and (thankfully) the menu. I can log out, but there's no visible indication that I'm doing so until it jumps me back to the login screen. The items in the inventory cannot be moved or interacted with and many of them will appear to be missing, with the items showing up next time I load the game or different ones being invisible in their place.

Hopefully this worked right. http://imgur.com/UHks5bM

Edit: Through repeatedly logging out and back in without closing the client, I seem to have made it work for now. Any clues on to what's happening? It's not my internet connection, since everything else worked perfectly, including other games.
Maune

Re: Not even sure what to call this.

Postby Heffernan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:20 am

Maune wrote:Alright, so this used to be more of an intermittent thing, but now I can't get it to go away. When I log in and enter the game with my character, not only are there visible, impossible to fix or ignore issues, any characters or animals on the map slide rather than any kind of movement animation. On top of that, while I can click to move and right-click to open things (door, chest, etc.), no windows pop up for containers and no flower menus pop up for anything, nor do they seem to be working despite the missing graphic.

I'm linking a screenshot of what I see, since it's hard to explain. As far as I can tell, none of the hotkeys, buttons, or invisible buttons work aside from the inventory and (thankfully) the menu. I can log out, but there's no visible indication that I'm doing so until it jumps me back to the login screen. The items in the inventory cannot be moved or interacted with and many of them will appear to be missing, with the items showing up next time I load the game or different ones being invisible in their place.

Hopefully this worked right. http://imgur.com/UHks5bM

Edit: Through repeatedly logging out and back in without closing the client, I seem to have made it work for now. Any clues on to what's happening? It's not my internet connection, since everything else worked perfectly, including other games.

Zoinks! You've taken a wrong turn.

Let's split up, gang. If you're looking for an image, it's probably been deleted or may not have existed at all.

If you are looking for groovy images, visit our gallery!
Heffernan

Postby Chrumps » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:55 am

Windows might have been moved offscreen. If you are using Kandarim's client try to rename file windows.conf to something else temporarily and see if it fixes the issue.

Animations can be switched on and off:

You can always make a new temporary folder and download a new copy of the custom client to that folder to see if there are issues with your old copy.

Delete .salem folder in your user directory, that's in case the cache is messed.

Try with another ISP because there are signs you have problem with downloading resources.
Chrumps

Postby Maune » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:35 am

Whatever it was, it passed. Not sure why it was just Salem, but whatever. I'll keep the suggestions in mind if it happens again and doesn't have a more obvious reason.
Maune

Postby Kandarim » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:04 am

Maune wrote:It's not my internet connection, since everything else worked perfectly, including other games.

I'll give you a hint, it was your internet connection :) This kind of thing typically is (because the resource server is contacted over a separate connection from the game server), and it's even more likely if it passed without any other action from your part. Some countries (notably Russia and China) have had issues in the past where some ISPs block non-standard connection ports and traffic.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Return to Bugs & Technicalities