Can't click in game world - mac [resolved]

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Can't click in game world - mac [resolved]

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi

So I can launch the client, move using key presses, and click the menu items. However mouse clicks in the actual game world don't register at all, which obviously makes it unplayable.

My system:
Macbook Pro (Retina display, 13in, early 2013)
graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Java: v8u51

This problem has been discussed before, with no resolution.... by me as well - since it started years ago when I first got this machine. I'm guessing it is something to do with the retina display. Looking into it again to see if anyone ever found a solution. Any ideas? Thanks!

(is there some sort of debug mode I can turn on in the client to give you guys more information?)
Last edited by _Gunnar on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Darwoth wrote:tradewinds is gunnar
Brego wrote:***** STUPID GUNNAR!

great minds
_Gunnar

Re: Can't click in game world - mac

Postby Chiprel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:27 pm

_Gunnar wrote:Hi

So I can launch the client, move using key presses, and click the menu items. However mouse clicks in the actual game world don't register at all, which obviously makes it unplayable.

My system:
Macbook Pro (Retina display, 13in, early 2013)
graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Java: v8u51

This problem has been discussed before, with no resolution.... by me as well - since it started years ago when I first got this machine. I'm guessing it is something to do with the retina display. Looking into it again to see if anyone ever found a solution. Any ideas? Thanks!

(is there some sort of debug mode I can turn on in the client to give you guys more information?)

The problem is that for some reason your mac changed display depth(colors) from 32bit to 16bit. The unresponsive clicks were happening on win xp(and probably win 7 too) when color depth was changed to 16bit mode.
While on windows it's pretty easy to change color depth.. on macs now it's quite hard. Basically your operating system can't do it by itself. That's what mac devs decided would be best for their users :p
I remember someone doing some reseach on it and it turned out that macs while running old games/programs might switch from 32bit color depth to 16bit pernamently.
This program might help to turn it back to 32bit color depth. It should be named something like colors/color depth and you should put it on 32bit or highest value(i remember that on some old macs it was called millions? billions? colors when you could still change color depth)
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8355/switchresx
^is the program I googled. If by some reason this one won't have the ability to change the color depth for you. Just try googling for another one.
Found this one by googling:
"changing color depth yosemite"
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:45 pm

Hey Trojanz :)

Thanks for the suggestion - I already tried that, unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the issue - SwitchResX (and also DisplayMaestro) both show that I'm using "millions of colors" = 32 bit color depth already, and in fact there doesn't appear to be any way to even lower this on this machine ^^

[I am also hating this mac, but they are what I always get from work - back in the old days (my first one from work was a 2005 model I think?) they let you know what was going on pretty well, and change pretty much whatever you wanted but now everything is very obscure...]

BTW, custom clients from haven work fine.
ImageImageImage

great minds
_Gunnar

Postby Chiprel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:13 pm

_Gunnar wrote:Hey Trojanz :)

Thanks for the suggestion - I already tried that, unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the issue - SwitchResX (and also DisplayMaestro) both show that I'm using "millions of colors" = 32 bit color depth already, and in fact there doesn't appear to be any way to even lower this on this machine ^^

[I am also hating this mac, but they are what I always get from work - back in the old days (my first one from work was a 2005 model I think?) they let you know what was going on pretty well, and change pretty much whatever you wanted but now everything is very obscure...]

BTW, custom clients from haven work fine.

Pity it doesnt work :(

Three other random suggestions then.
1) I remember that HasseKebab (hnh and salem player) was using mac too. He was actively playing salem (or at least he said he did!) while people were having same problem that you have. Either he have some older/newer mac or maybe he found a way around this problem. Might be good idea to try and contact him. He was a Godtuwn player in salem and AD(not sure) in haven. He might be active on HNH forums now with hafen kicking in soon.
2) Hafen(hnh2) is succesor of salem engine. Both should be pretty similiar with rendering. If salem ain't working for you then I would assume HnH2 won't either. Maybe when hafen is released you could bug loftar about it? I know for a fact that sometimes loftar likes to try debug problems for players(he did spend spend an hour or two with me, trying to understand the reason of me stuttering in salem once ;)) It's pretty hard for him to fix any mac bugs as he only have some older mac to work with. Maybe he would agree to look at the issue if you gave him control on yours pc for few hours by using teamviewer or some other similiar program(well it's pretty hardcore idea but yeah.. loftar might be the only one able to fix this issue :P. It seems thats many mac players have the problem so he might agree to it!)
3) There are some other java games out there like minecraft and wurm. Both are mac friendly I think?(not sure about this!) If yes then maybe players of those games run into similiar problems? Maybe someone found a fix?
Chiprel

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:23 pm

All good ideas - is HasseKebab currently active here, or was it just a while back?

3) is the only one I've looked into so far - minecraft, wurm, runescape are all java games and all run fine on my machine.

Its a very weird problem - since mouse clicks are recognised on icons, minimap, etc, and just not in the 3d game world...
ImageImageImage

great minds
_Gunnar

Postby lachlaan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:51 pm

I'm bored enough to look into issues with that vid card, but in the meanwhile could you attempt playing by plugging in an external monitor into preferably the VGA port?
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Chiprel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:02 pm

[21:58:08] trojan: hello! :)
[21:58:29] trojan: you have mac and you were able to play salem normally right?
[21:58:43] trojan: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15490
[21:58:59] trojan: did it just let you play normally or you had to change some stuff?
[21:59:42] Edd (Hasse): err
[22:00:02] Edd (Hasse): tell him 2
[22:00:04] trojan: inb4 i mixed ppl with mac :D
[22:00:07] Edd (Hasse): remove da jdk
[22:00:28] trojan: and thats it? :o
[22:00:31] Edd (Hasse): yah
[22:00:32] trojan: will do then!
[22:00:38] Edd (Hasse): just move it outside the
[22:00:42] Edd (Hasse): java folder
[22:00:46] Edd (Hasse): where its located
[22:00:58] Edd (Hasse): that worked 4 me
[22:01:07] trojan: mind if i copy this convo there?
[22:01:24] Edd (Hasse): noi dont
[22:01:28] trojan: ok. thanks! :)
Chiprel

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:27 pm

did nothing for me, removed jdk1.8.0_51.jdk under
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines

.. no effect :/
ImageImageImage

great minds
_Gunnar

Postby lachlaan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:30 pm

_Gunnar wrote:did nothing for me, removed jdk1.8.0_51.jdk under
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines

.. no effect :/

What about my suggestion? :D I have little hopes, but who knows, it might work. Alternatively tinker with your gamma, constrast,brightness, everything. Color modes and all.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion - Sadly, I don't own an external monitor (nor a tv, etc..)

I messed about with resolution, contrast, brightness, etc - nothing made a difference ^^
ImageImageImage

great minds
_Gunnar

Next

Return to Bugs & Technicalities