Forum Messages not being sent

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Forum Messages not being sent

Postby Shealladh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 am

I've tried to send 4 messages yesterday and today and each sits in my Outbox and won't send.

Have only 4/500 messages, or 1% used space.

Weird
Shealladh

Re: Forum Messages not being sent

Postby Shealladh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:05 am

Shealladh wrote:I've tried to send 4 messages yesterday and today and each sits in my Outbox and won't send.

Have only 4/500 messages, or 1% used space.

Weird

I think the forum waits until someone logs in before the message is actually sent, hence the Outbox.
Would like a confirmation, or if this is a bug?
Shealladh

Postby Bluestone » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 am

I think, on phpbb3 boards that the outbox means the message has not been read by the recipient. When the recipient has read the message it moves to the sent box.

If I recall correctly.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:12 am

Bluestone wrote:I think, on phpbb3 boards that the outbox means the message has not been read by the recipient. When the recipient has read the message it moves to the sent box.

If I recall correctly.

Would be nice to get confirmation on this. I'm new to this board-format so many things are yet to be discovered.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Bluestone » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Sent messages will appear in either the Outbox or the Sent messages folder. As long as the recipient(s) have not yet read the message, it will stay in the Outbox. As soon as someone reads the message it will be archived to the Sent messages folder. If the administrator allows it, you can edit messages after sending them as long as they are in the Outbox and the recipients have not yet read them.

Source: http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentat ... ser_pm.php
Bluestone

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Bluestone wrote:
Sent messages will appear in either the Outbox or the Sent messages folder. As long as the recipient(s) have not yet read the message, it will stay in the Outbox. As soon as someone reads the message it will be archived to the Sent messages folder. If the administrator allows it, you can edit messages after sending them as long as they are in the Outbox and the recipients have not yet read them.

Source: http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentat ... ser_pm.php

Question answered! I don't like this though, makes for a lot of confusion. I'll add this to the FAQ once I get around to writing it.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

TotalyMoo

Postby Bluestone » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Yea it was the second entry when I googled it, the first entry was people saying that the Outbox should be for sent PMs and the Sent box should be the Read PMs (label changed).

It is possible to edit those value but it requires finding where they are labeled in the phpbb3 code and changing it. I have done it on a forum I used to run but not on any of my current ones so don't recall where it is to advise.
Bluestone

Postby Shealladh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Okay cool. I had/have this same forum setup on one of my domains, but been awhile since I used it.
Thanks for the help.
Shealladh

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:06 pm

Moving this over to bugs forum and closing it for now. Want to keep it as a reference for the FAQ.

TotalyMoo

Postby loftar » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm actually fairly sure that the more precise procedure is that the message moves out of the outbox when the recipient opens his inbox, rather than reads the message, but that's just a detail.
loftar

Return to Bugs & Technicalities