Cannot determine a valid Java Home

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Cannot determine a valid Java Home

Postby Kradantoste » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 am

When launching the game, an error appears saying "Cannot determine a valid Java Home" and the client fails to launch. I have already tried uninstalling all the Java versions I had and re-installing the one provided on the website bellow the button to launch the client. It's very strange since it only happens when I open the Desktop shortcut, but the client works fine if I launch it from the website. Do you have any tips to solve this? (Apart from always launching the game from the website, which is what I'm trying to avoid)
Kradantoste

Re: Cannot determine a valid Java Home

Postby Ronch » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:59 am

Have you tried one of the game's custom clients yet ?
The Latikai custom client that I use is found here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7681

There is also another but older custom client named Enders which still works, both of those clients are found in the
Artifice & Arcana forum board here: viewforum.php?f=11
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby Kradantoste » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:11 pm

@Ronch Thanks for your answer!

Sadly, using the custom client makes the same issue: launching it directly from the link (by opening the updater.jnlp) works, but using the Destop shortcut created afterwards gives the same error message "Cannot determine a valid Java Home".
Kradantoste

Postby Ronch » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Okay, well, I'm glad that you can still play the game at least.

I am not much of a tech literate person, but there are a number of generous people which visit the forums frequently who are. So maybe if you post more detailed information about your issue, one of them might also drop in to try an help.
...My only other suggestion would be; to do a forum search for the word Java and browse through the resulting threads looking for similar issues.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby Dallane » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Is this the issue where the local client is pointed to the wrong location that java is installed?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Kradantoste » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:23 pm

@Ronch Thanks for your feedback, I also don't really understand how java works, which is why I'm asking here.

@Dallane Do you know how to solve it? or can you post a link about it? I can't seem to find it on the forums and, as I said, I don't think I understand enough of Java to just fix it myself...
Kradantoste

Return to Bugs & Technicalities