game freezing up often

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Re: game freezing up often

Postby loftar » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:26 am

lachlaan wrote:if you look at the ingame profiler screenshot you'll see that it's just huge drops in framerate intermittently

I was assuming those came about as a result of you porting to and fro Boston or walking in and out of a house or something like that. Are you saying that is not the case?

Even so, though, judging from the tooltips in that screenshot, they do by no means look like "one or two second" freeze-ups, but rather like a couple of seconds of ~5 FPS performance. There's clearly a rather large difference between the two, so please clarify which one it is.

lachlaan wrote:to be fair feel like the game has frozen, since a lot of times it won't take any input unless I manage to sync the click/key press with the right part of the frame.

That shouldn't under any circumstances be the case; input events queue up regardless of when they take place. If this is the case, then I suspect that it is something external to the client that makes it happen; perhaps something that puts load on the system in general. I have previously seen people having huge problems caused by Skype bogging down their system; could this be your problem?
loftar

Postby lachlaan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:45 am

loftar wrote:
lachlaan wrote:if you look at the ingame profiler screenshot you'll see that it's just huge drops in framerate intermittently

I was assuming those came about as a result of you porting to and fro Boston or walking in and out of a house or something like that. Are you saying that is not the case?

Even so, though, judging from the tooltips in that screenshot, they do by no means look like "one or two second" freeze-ups, but rather like a couple of seconds of ~5 FPS performance. There's clearly a rather large difference between the two, so please clarify which one it is.

lachlaan wrote:to be fair feel like the game has frozen, since a lot of times it won't take any input unless I manage to sync the click/key press with the right part of the frame.

That shouldn't under any circumstances be the case; input events queue up regardless of when they take place. If this is the case, then I suspect that it is something external to the client that makes it happen; perhaps something that puts load on the system in general. I have previously seen people having huge problems caused by Skype bogging down their system; could this be your problem?

You're right about it being a case of a couple of seconds of 5fps (seems like less xD) intermittently, and no it's not when i change areas, it's a pretty permanent thing in my town, and a bit less frequently in the wilderness depending on what's around.

Last time I tried to tackle the issue, with lots of help from you, I did indeed notice skype made it even worse, and have since tried to stay off it when I wanted to play a bit more enjoyable, but it is still pretty choppy as it is, even 200-300ms frames are so not fun.

As for the input issues, for example it takes a good few right clicks for one to land on a bush/tree and bring up the flower menu. And no, it's not completely frozen until it finally gets through, a few frames do pass by at the sluggish rate until it gets through. Maybe the first attempt is the one to actually go through, but from experience unless I retry it doesn't pop up even in the "smooth" bit inbetween lag spikes.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby RonPaulFTW » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:06 pm

Does judaism's low res mod help?

As much as I love the graphics and animation detail - I hope the reworked client comes with a built in low res option.
RonPaulFTW

Postby lachlaan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Yeah it definetly helped a bit when I decided to try it out, and just this morning I had a suggestion to use both the initial and the max memory settings, as opposed to just the initial one. Surprisingly enough, it lags with just the -Xmx1024m option, but works a lot more smoothly with -Xms512m and -Xmx512m at the same time.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Frakked » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:07 am

Quite simple... distance from server.

Last word was servers were still in Stockholm, Sweden. If there is an ocean separating you from this location... this is no hope, no fix.

Recommend logging out... closing client... disabling your network adapter and then re-enabling it...restart client... log back in...and pray.

(If you are technically minded... cmd line... /ipconfig /release...then /renew... etc... )

Distance from server will always be a factor... I suggest avoiding pvp and hunting... barring that... finding another game.

I have.

I still like Salem; but given my distance from the server... I have branched out my gaming needs to sources closer to home (where I don't have issues).

One and all games with servers in the US... Boston, Austin, Arizona... none of them have the issues that Salem has...and the ping is much less

Just for grins: GA (US) to Stokholm... 20Mbps down, 10Mbps up, 139 ms ping...

GA to Austin, TX: 61Mbps down, 12Mbps up, 34 ms ping...

Substantial difference in connectivity...
Last edited by Frakked on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frakked

Postby lachlaan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:10 am

It shouldn't be the distance from the server, if anything it'd be my crappy internet. I don't live in the US, and just checked that i have a ping of around 80 and under.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Blood » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:44 am

Frakked wrote:Quite simple... distance from server.

Last word was servers were still in Stockholm, Sweden. If there is an ocean separating you from this location... this is no hope, no fix.

Recommend logging out... closing client... disabling your network adapter and then re-enabling it...restart client... log back in...and pray.

(If you are technically minded... cmd line... /ipconfig /release...then /renew... etc... )

Distance from server will always be a factor... I suggest avoiding pvp and hunting... barring that... finding another game.

I have.

I still like Salem; but given my distance from the server... I have branched out my gaming needs to sources closer to home (where I don't have issues).

One and all games with servers in the US... Boston, Austin, Arizona... none of them have the issues that Salem has...and the ping is much less

Just for grins: GA (US) to Stokholm... 20Mbps down, 10Mbps up, 139 ms ping...

GA to Austin, TX: 61Mbps down, 12Mbps up, 34 ms ping...

Substantial difference in connectivity...

If you have found another game then go ***** off there.Your suggestion here borders on stupidity a 100 ping difference and you cant hunt a bear? i play on at least 300 + ping and hunting is easy, fighting is easy too.

just do everyone on these forums a big favor for the first time in your life and go crawl back into your hole and stop spamming these threads with your half baked drunken drivel.

OT: firefox did you try lachlaans suggestion on the .bat option with extended memory allocation?
Blood

Postby loftar » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:32 am

Frakked wrote:Quite simple... distance from server.

The distance from the server would certainly not affect the client's framerate.
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:35 am

Try to keep this forum to constructive criticism and comments, please.

Distance to server is one factor effecting network latency, but not as much as one thinks. After all, electrons travel through a wire at such a high speed that 1km or 1000km makes little difference. Don't forget we also move data at the speed of light now (fiber optics) and that the entire circumference of the Earth is a small fraction of a light second. More important is the size of the pipes (number of wires and raw bps they can push) and number of machines between A and B.

edit: as loftar points out, it's not really related to the subject at hand, either.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:49 am

MagicManICT wrote:Distance to server is one factor effecting network latency, but not as much as one thinks. After all, electrons travel through a wire at such a high speed that 1km or 1000km makes little difference. Don't forget we also move data at the speed of light now (fiber optics) and that the entire circumference of the Earth is a small fraction of a light second. More important is the size of the pipes (number of wires and raw bps they can push) and number of machines between A and B.

Well, if we're going to be pedantic and pretend that "distance to server" doesn't basically mean latency, then I'd like to add to the record that bandwidth and number of wires are also almost completely irrelevant, and that what actually matters is the number of hops on the route (coincidentally highly correlated with the physical distance ^^) and the internal factors to each router, such as buffering or processing, that determine their individual latency. Also, while the physical distance isn't the domineering factor, it is a significant one; the distance between the US and Europe being ~7e6 meters, that adds about 25 ms of latency.

Just saying. :)
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs & Technicalities